Lazy mornings are made for French toast.
This version ups the ante with soft, sautéed apples tucked between slices of moist, golden French toast (bonus: it's vegan!).
To top it all off is a coconut almond drizzle that is as creamy and mouthwatering as it is easy to make.
Make this stuffed french toast in your pj's on your day off, and let the sweet scent of vanilla fill your kitchen. Share it with someone special, or just treat yourself - you can't go wrong!
Stuffed French Toast with Coconut Almond Drizzle
Yield: 3 servings
For the Stuffed French Toast:
- 1 apple, sliced thinly
- 6 slices of bread, day old or toasted
- 1 - 1 1/2 cups non-dairy milk
- 2 Tbsp. ground flaxseed
- 1 Tbsp. agave nectar or maple syrup
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1-2 Tbsp. cooking oil, such as coconut or sunflower oil
- Chopped almonds, to garnish (optional)
For the Coconut Almond Drizzle:
- 2 Tbsp. Aloha Spreads coconut almond butter
- 2 tsp. agave nectar or maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2-3 Tbsp. non-dairy milk
- Heat 1 tsp. oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the sliced apple and cook for 2-3 minutes or until tender and slightly browned, stirring frequently. Set aside.
- To make the Coconut Almond Drizzle, combine coconut almond butter, 2 tsp. agave nectar or maple syrup, and 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract in a small bowl. With a fork, whisk in non-dairy milk one tablespoon at a time until the sauce is your desired consistency (about 2-3 Tbsp). Set aside.
- In a shallow baking dish, combine 1 cup non-dairy milk, ground flaxseed, 1 Tbsp. agave nectar or maple syrup, 1 tsp. vanilla extract, and cinnamon.
- Dip each slice of bread into the mixture, coating both sides. Shake off excess liquid and set aside on a plate. Add more non-dairy milk into the soaking mixture if it starts to get dry, especially if using thicker slices of bread.
- Heat 2 tsp. oil in large skillet; add 2 slices of coated bread. Cook about 2 minutes or until first side is golden brown. Gently flip with a spatula, and cook on second side about 2 minutes. Remove from pan.
- Top one slice of French toast with 1/3 of the cooked apples, then the second slice of French toast. Repeat with remaining bread and apples.
- Serve topped with coconut almond drizzle and chopped almonds, if using.